Complete copy of the Qur'an preceeded by five leaves that include a one-page introduction followed by diagrams of the seven readings of the Qur'ān (f. 1v-5r): (1) Nāfiʿ (2) Ibn Kathīr (3) Ibn Amīr of Damascus (4) Abū ʿAmr b. Al-ʿAlāʾ (5) ʿAāṣim (6) Ḥamzah (7) Kisāʾī. Eight leaves have been replaced and rewritten in a different hand, style, and paper (f. 226-231, 534-536). Some marginalia was lost when leaves were remounted.
- Holding institution:
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Department of South Asian Art
- Data provider:
- University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- 5-12 lines with an average of 9 long lines if framed, and 11 if unframed; some marginalia.
i+537+ii; 307 x 207 (254 x 165) mm bound to 320 x 225 mm
- Manuscripts (documents)
Codices (bound manuscripts)
Manuscripts, 15th century
Manuscripts, 16th century
Purchased with funds contributed by members of the Committee for South Asian Art, and the Stella Kramrisch Fund for Indian and Himalayan Art, 2017. Appears in Sam Fogg, The Rhythm of the Pen and the Art of the Book: Islamic Calligraphy from the 13th to 19th century (London, 2017), no. 12.
- Geographic region:
- These images and the content of Department of South Asian Art 2017-232-1: al-Qurʼān. / القرآن are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
To the extent possible under law, Philadelphia Museum of Art has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Department of South Asian Art 2017-232-1: al-Qurʼān. / القرآن. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
- Is part of:
- OPenn: Manuscripts of the Muslim World
- Type (Broader):
- Type (Narrower):